Saturday, February 9, 2013

Winter Storm NEMO


Notice how high up on the fences the snow is

That is the front of my car somewhere in there







Trying to push the cars out of the snow



The road to our house




I don't know if you can see how deep the snow is right here but its at least 3 feet.

A flock of geese flying over the sun

We didn't really end up using our prepared 72 hour kits. I did eat a snickers and I at one point was on the verge of opening up the Bodiheat (a pain reliever not a heating pad I found out). 

This is the pile of blankets we buried ourselves under

We actually just had sandwiches so as not to waste the propane



On Thursday we went to the store to pick up a package of cheese and that was when I first experienced the Armageddon mode that New England goes into when threatened with a foot of snow. There were lines of shopping carts loaded to the brim with food and survival supplies. That night I mocked, but now I completely understand the feeling of being in a 72-hour kit crisis. The snow started early on Friday morning so we decided to get a few errands completed before the stores started closing at 3pm. I must tell you the eeriness of being one of two customers in a Costco, it is completely unnerving and kind of cool to have the entire store to oneself. Apparently everyone had gone into hunker-down mode to ride out the storm. We hearty Utah and Idaho attitudes would not be deterred by a few flakes of snow however, so we headed to Walmart which looked like it had been ransacked by a starving army. We got our things and got in line. I was interested to see what people deemed important for their 72-hour kits. The girls behind us had six packages of cookies and a package of cigarets and the people in from of us had a cart of diet pepsi, tampico and some rice. And yet we were the ones getting the baffled looks, granted all we were buying were bay leaves, air freshener and some laundry detergent. By the time we were done buying our things at Walmart all stores and public transportations were closed so we headed home. The snow continued and the wind started blowing creating huge drifts in the snow. Then the power went out. That was when I started to understand why everyone had been going crazy about this storm. What with all the stores being closed, public transports down, and the lack of electricity (for which I rely on for everything; hot showers, heat, food...EVERYTHING) I was wishing I had gotten more than some bay leaves for warmth. Luckily our bed is pretty warm so we just hunkered down for the night and for most of the next day too (It was really cold anywhere outside of our bed). I did venture out for a little bit in the morning to see what the snow had been up to in the night. It was kind of cool to see the huge drifts of snow that covered all the cars and roads and houses. I took some pictures but quickly realized that I was the only female outside so I let the men stay out in the snow and shovel out the cars. Anyway, we are safe and sound and the electricity is back on so we are just going to stay inside until everything opens up again. Our church got canceled for tomorrow so this will be day three in our little apartment. Yay.

6 comments:

The Schauerhamers said...

I didn't know you moved to Ashton Idaho? :) If only you had been like us and got a couple of lanterns as wedding gifts. Those are always handy in times like that. Well glad you made it through the crisis and are thawing out. We have had sunny days and didn't even wear coats the entire day in Idaho Falls. Those pictures are actually quite impressive and I love that you were literally snowed in, I love the idea of being snowed in, it gives me an excuse to stay home and watch movies in bed all day.

liz and dennis said...

It made me feel better to know you had your 72 hour kits even if you didn't have to use them. I'm glad you two stayed safe, and as for heat, There's a song that says "we've got our love to keep us warm". Right? At least you two were together. Love mom.

Anne Adele said...

The storm left us and then it rallied and got you bad. I'm glad you stayed warm in your bed. Lets hear it for the extra blankets. People here react the same way when we hear a major storm is on the way. The store shelves empty and everyone puts their snow shovels close and they make sure their snow blowers are working. I am certainly glad that you weathered your first big storm and I hope that it is the end of them for the year. Love, Anne Adele

Alan and Shelley said...

So interesting to hear about your first big storm experience in the east. I'm realizing that there are different reactions for different regions. Idahoans do go out, but we take snow machines or the four wheel drive, being the wild western types that we are. And bay leaves would be a great excuse for Alan to pull out the tractor blower and see how far he could get. Arizonans are maybe a little more timid in the snow, having only seen it up in Flagstaff. The danger here is very slick roads, they know they can get to the store but they have to drive like snails. In the AZ heat the oils from the asphalt rise to the surface of the road and so when it rains or snows that oil causes some major slippage out there, which is why the Phoenicians dislike going out on the roads. Also flash flooding may occur out in those desert arroyos. Well, it was fun hearing about your storm, keep posting.

sara said...

What the deauce, bay leaves. Making soup our something I suppose. It has been quite the winter so far this year for many of us. Glad you made it through. A Snickers always makes me feel better too.

Stacy said...

Brrrr! It looks very cold and like it took hours to dig out! My front yard has atleast a foot, I don't think it will be gone till May in my north facing yard!